Wool Felt Hearts & Flowers

There are some crafting projects that demand the thickness, feel and durability of a top quality all wool felt. Most craft felts have some wool content but it is usually around 30% with the other 70% being a synthetic fibre. Blended felts are great, they work well for most felt crafting projects but if you’re making something that you want to really last, like seasonal decorations to keep or a doorstop, you might consider making them from the REAL THING, 100% wool felt.

Since the Stone Age wool has been highly valued for its ability to keep us in comfort in both warm and cold weather. Its protective waxy coating makes it naturally stain resistant and anti-static. It is completely natural and renewable - as long as sheep have grass to feed on, they will produce a new fleece each year - and its completely biodegradable so no landfill waste. Nothing really holds a candle to wool - and even if you did hold a candle to it, it wouldn’t burn as it is naturally fire resistant and will generally self-extinguish once the source of the flame has been removed. In contrast synthetic fibres tend to melt and stick to the skin causing burns. There is a lot to love about this honest and incredibly versatile fibre.

Felt made from wool is considered to be the world’s oldest textile. It is widely thought to have been discovered when wool was used to pack into sandals, to prevent the formation of blisters and the consequent sweat (moisture) and heat from the feet led to the compressing of the wool fibre and so felt was born, rather yucky but still a brillint discovery. Today felt is more likely to be created using a needling process, entangling the woollen fibres together to form the felt.  

Other man-made fibres such as rayon or viscose can be mixed in with woollen fibres to create a wool mix felt. Some craft felts are made entirely from man made fibres, containing no wool at all such as Colourful Felt's Soft Washable Craft Felt Range.   

Which felt should you chose? 

All craft felts have their pros and cons. It depends on what you’re trying to create but the natural strength and thickness of pure wool felt lends itself to projects that might have a long life and might get wear and tear. Toy making is an obvious example of this and Colourful Felt's 100% wool felt is EN71 certified so you can be confident that it contains no nasty dyes or toxic chemicals.  

woollen felt fabric shades

Working with 100% wool felt is a pleasure. The felt is incredibly stable and strong but at the same time soft with the warm tactile feel of pure wool. The key to cutting felt is to use sharp scissors, for larger shapes use dressmaking scissors but for small intricate designs I use embroidery scissors to really get crisp edges. Depending on what you’re doing, I use an embroidery or milliners needle and thread such as Wonderfil Eleganza cotton.

Anchor and DMC also do a fantastic number of colours in their cotton embroidery thread range, widely available from sewing and craft outlets.

 Anchor Threads


I wanted to create something that would last. A hanging heart that can be got out for Valentine’s Day as decoration or could help to decorate a bedroom. 

Wool Felt Fabric Embroidered Hearts

Here I’ve used die cut hearts in Bisque, Battleship GreyLavenite and Hot Pink.  I’ve used Crafter’s Companion heart  for the shape and cut two smaller hearts from foam craft sheets to give the hearts some additio

nal stability. 

I’ve also used 3mm round pearl beads, sewing them on using nylon beading thread and a beading needle. The beading needle is a must for this type of work as the needle is fine and flexible and so ideal for threading through the beads.

The stitches I’ve used are mostly standard embroidery stitches - blanket stitch, french knots, cross stitch and running stitch.

I’ve also used velvet ribbon as the hanger.

 Purple. Grey & Pink 100% Wool Felt Embroidered Heart With Beading



Felt jewellery is also wonderful when made with all wool felt. The thickness of the felt gives it body, helping it to keep its shape.  

100% wool craft felt fabric cream roses  Cut a square of felt about 15cm x 15cm and cut around the corners to give a rounded off square shape.

 Cut a spiral from the outer edge into the centre, giving a slightly wavy line.

*   Take the outer end of the spiral and fold over about 2 cm, secure with glue.   Using that as the centre of your rose

*   Start to wind up the spiral. rose felt spiral

*   Secure the final piece with glue at the bottom. rose back

 *   Create a backing for the brooch and sew a brooch fixing on to it, glue that to the bottom of your rose. 

cream 100% wool felt fabric rose


These cream roses would also make great wedding table decorations. Of course you can make the roses smaller by simply reducing the size of the square. Felt circles can also be used for this.

Our all 100% wool felt is available here. http://www.colourfulfelt.co.uk/shop-by-product/100-wool-felt/